Insert tab in PowerPoint: The Insert tab in PowerPoint contains several categories for formatting the design and elements of your presentation. This tab is used to insert a new slide, table, pictures, online pictures, screenshot, photo album, shapes smart art and chart etc in the presentation. This tab also provide the facility to use Hyperlink, Action, Insert text box, Insert header & footer, Insert WordArt, Insert Date & time, Insert slide number, Insert object of another application, insert mathematical equation, insert symbols, insert video from file or clip, or insert audio from file or screen recording in the presentation.
Groups in Insert tab
There are ten groups in Insert tab:
- Slides Group
- Tables Group
- Images Group
- Illustrations Group
- Apps Group
- Links Group
- Comments Group
- Text Group
- Symbols Group
- Media Group
The Slides Group allows you to insert new slides as well as adjust the layout of your individual slides.
New Slide (Ctrl +M)
After creating a presentation file we can insert a new slide into the presentation according to our need.
To insert a new slide in the presentation do the following :
- Click on the Insert tab and click on New Slide in the Slides group.
- Choose the desired slide layout from the menu that appears.
- The new slide will appear.
Duplicate Selected Slides
To add a slide that contains the content of an existing slide in a presentation, you can duplicate the slide.
To duplicate the slides do this:
- Select the slide you want to duplicate.
- On the Insert tab, in the Slides group, click New Slide down arrow and choose Duplicate Selected Slides.
You can reuse slides from Slide Libraries or other PowerPoint files in your open presentation.
In this group, you will get a Table with a great way to organize information within your presentation.
To insert table using Insert Table option, follow the given steps:
- From the Insert tab l, click the Table command.
- A drop down menu containing a grid of squares will appear. Hover the mouse over the grid to select the number of rows and columns in the table.
- Click the slide where you want to place the table.
To insert a table in the slide :
- Click on the slide where you want to insert the table.
- Select the Insert tab and then on the down arrow of the Table button under the Table group.
- Move the mouse over the Insert Table section.
- After selecting the required number of row and column in the menu click the mouse button to insert the table into the slide.
We can insert a Excel sheet to the slide in the presentation. These are the objects we can use inside the slides with some which feature of Microsoft PowerPoint.
This group have a number of options by which you can easily insert picture on your presentation.
To liven up a presentation, we can insert a picture into the slides from the computer system the images are stored.
To insert a picture into the slides, follow this steps:
- Click on the Insert tab and click the Pictures button in the Images group.
- A dialog box will appear. Locate and select the desired image file, then click Insert.
To insert a picture from the web, choose Online Pictures and use the search box to find a picture. Choose a picture and then click Insert.
By this option you can quickly add a snapshot of any window that is open on your desktop to your document.
Create a beautiful presentation for your favourite photo collection.
Illustration groups has commands to insert pre-defined shapes, SmartArt and Charts in the presentation.
You can add shape to your presentation. Available shapes include lines, basic geometrical shapes, equation, flowchart etc. You can draw and revise shapes, lines, text and pictures to create a professional looking presentation. Each of the objects you draw for your slide can designed as per your need. PowerPoint shapes are familiar shapes that you are likely to use very often. These shapes are fully adjustable in size. Many shapes include additional adjusting handle, which allows you to adjust many characteristic features.
Here are the steps to insert a shape:
- Go to Insert tab and click Shapes in Illustration group.
- Choose a type of shape whichever you want.
- Drag the shape into the slide as you want whereas.
- Resize and scale the shape you choose on the slide.
A SmartArt graphic is a visual representation of your information that you can quickly and easily create, choosing from among many different layouts, to effectively communicate your message or ideas.
When you create a SmartArt graphic, you are prompted to choose a type of SmartArt graphics, such as Process Hierarchy, Cycle or Relationship. A type is similar to a category of SmartArt graphic and each type contains several different layouts.
Here are the steps to insert a SmartArt graphics into the slides:
- Go to the Insert tab and click SmartArt tool in the Illustration group.
- Choose a specific SmartArt graphic in the dialog.
- Click OK.
PowerPoint creates or modified the chart using MS Graph. MS Graph is a graphing program shared by all components like Word, Excel, PowerPoint. So if you know how to create graphics in one of the components, you can use the same technique in other components also.
Charts that you create will be embedded in PowerPoint and the chart data is stored in an Excel worksheet that is incorporated in the PowerPoint file.
Here are the steps to insert Charts into the slides:
- Go to Insert tab and click Chart tool in Illustration group.
- Choose a type of Chart whichever you want.
- Resize and scale the chart you chose on the slide.
This option inserts an app into your document and use the web to enhance your work.
Link group is used to add a hyperlink, to take you out of your slide show to a web resource.
Create a link in your document for quick access to webpages or files. Hyperlinks can also take you to places in your document.
Give the selected object an action to carry out when you click it or mouse over it.
For example, you can hover over an object to jump to the next slide, or open up a new program when you click it.
This group has the option to add a note about this part of the document.
Text group options is not just about typing text into a slide, by using this group commands Insert Text boxes, which allow you to play with the location or orientation of word. Insert header and footer. Turn your text into Word Art. Insert date, times, slide numbers and other embedded objects.
By using this option, we can draw a text box anywhere we want. This is a great way to get the exact text box size we want, especially when adding text to shapes and objects.
Header & Footer
To apply header and footer information to several but not to all slides, select the slides you want before starting this procedure. You can select them on the Outline tab or Slides tab in normal view or in slide sorter view.
Follow this step to insert header and footer:
- Open the presentation on which you want to add any Header or Footer elements. Choose the Insert tab of the Ribbon.
- Within the Insert tab, click the Header and Footer button. Header and Footer dialog box will open on the screen.
- Select this check-box to make the date appear on Handout and Notes pages.
- Select this checkbox to make Header visible on the Notes and Handout page in the presentation. Additionally when this checkbox is selected the box below gets activated where you can enter the content of the header.
- This check box when selected makes the Footer visible on the Notes and Handout pages in your presentation. Additionally when this checkbox is selected the box below the activated where you can enter the content of the footer.
- You should click on Apply to All button to insert Header, Footer in a presentation.
WordArt is a gallery of text styles that you can add to your documents to create decorative effects, such as shadowed or mirrored reflected text.
To add WordArt, follow the steps:
- Select the slide on which you want to add WordArt.
- Click the Insert tab, in the Text group, click WordArt.
- Choose the word style that you want and enter your text.
Date & Time
By using this option you can quickly add the current date or time.
Number the slides in your presentation for easy reference. You can also add the slide number by clicking in a text box, then clicking slide number.
Embedded objects are objects or other files you have inserted into this document. Instead of having separate files sometimes it is easier to keep them all embedded in a document.
It allows you to insert and edit equations and insert symbols in the presentation.
Add common mathematical equations to your document such as the area of circle or the quadratic formula.
You can also build your own equations using the library of math symbols and equations.
Add symbols that are not on your keyboard.
Choose a variety of options including mathematical, currency and copyright symbols.
Media group commands facilitate you to insert video and sound into your slide.
In PowerPoint we can add a certain video in the slides of the presentation file. This makes a complete presentation like whenever we need to narrate the content of the slide then we need to put some video as to make this as a documentary of some certain subject we attach videos.
To add a video follow this step :
- Stay to the slide to which you want to add a video clip.
- Click Insert tab and then select Video from the Media group.
- Locate the folder that contains the file you want and then double click the file.
In PowerPoint we can add a certain audio in the slides of the presentation file. This makes a complete presentation like whenever we need to narrate the content of the slide then we do attach a audio file.
To add a audio follow this step :
- Navigate to the PowerPoint slide where the audio should begin to play.
- Click the Insert tab and click Audio on the Media group. You’ll have the choice to select Online Audio, Audio On My PC and Record Audio.
- Select an existing file on your computer or click Online Audio to search for a term in Office.com’s Clip Art of sound clips. Alternatively, click Record Audio then the red Record button to make a clip of your own audio.